Eight members of the 8th Hussars are found among the 29 banners placed this year. Princess Louise herself is one of them. Her story is one of compassion and humanity found in the midst of the devastation of war.
From 1944 to 1973 Princess Louise was the Regimental Mascot of the 8th Princess Louise’s (New Brunswick) Hussars, renamed the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s) in 1957. Found in 1944 in a pasture near Coriano Italy, injured and circling her dead mother, the filly was rescued, treated and protected by soldiers of the 8th Princess Louise’s (NB) Hussars. Hidden and transported through 4 countries, she accompanied her soldiers for the remainder of the war and celebrated the end of the conflict with them in Eelde, Holland. Three months after the Regiment set sail for home in New Brunswick, she followed. The Princess was an integral member of the Regiment, marching proudly at the head of parades in her full regalia: 8th Hussars badges and flashes, 5th Canadian Armoured Division maroon patch, and her campaign medals (1939-45 Star, Italy Star, France-Germany Star, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and three wound stripes).
Princess Louise’s banner will be displayed in a place of honour at the Hampton Cenotaph where she lies in her final resting place with her daughter, Princess Louise II.
More information on the history of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s) and the foal that became a Hussar, can be found at the 8th Hussars Museum in Sussex, NB.